With limited time, and a rigid technical stack to build upon for phase 1 it was a project that called for quick and highly collaborative responses to design problem. We needed to ensure that the legacy application’s perceived issues were scrutinised and whilst having limited capability to suggest capability change. Instead we used guerrilla testing and discovery principles to fine tune interactions and journeys whilst treading a tight technical tightrope.
1. Stakeholder engagement and workshops
Early engagement helped establish the relationships with member’s of the client team and allowed us to get stuck into the complex requirements, technical limitations and expectations of the project.
As the timescales restricted a great deal of alteration to core functionality. We needed to quickly ascertain what was technically feasible and how to focus our energies.
2. Definition of ‘top tasks’
Defining top tasks from the wealth of client collated metrics, surveys and other data sets allowed as to condense and distill this information replaying back to the client and clarifying the overall situation.
3. Ideation and conceptualisation
The extremely tight timescales demanded a quick and rapid approach be selected for our approach. We started to explore the current so called ‘red routes’ within the legacy applications and rapidly sketch and develop journey driven sketches and lo-fi prototypes.
4. Guerilla testing
We wanted to involve the user as much as possible within the timeframes so we set about creating a paper based prototyping and measurement system. I had wanted to try out the suggestions of Paul Seys for some time and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to create a test sled.
With our fabricated prototypes we took to our local cafe and started to validate our design concepts and generate insight for our client.
5. Wireframe development
Working in an extremely light-footed way, we took sketched concepts, iterated them and included user feedback where we thought it was useful and then started to develop journey based wireframe packs for client review and then graphic design interpretation to apply the strong brand guidelines that had been created.
The application was designed from an iOS centric perspective, but afterwards it became a requirement to support android also. We then interpreted how the core journeys could be translated and optimised for the variations in platform and interaction patterns.
The application in it’s first phase was released at the same time of the new mobile operators overall UK launch and is facilitating quick and easy contact between customer and telco operator. Although extra functionality was largeyl out of scope for this phase of the project, many of the legacy application issues were polished and tuned, with overall customer feedback returning positive reviews.